Following on from my last blog post, Joanne from CAFOD gave us a sheet containing some rather shocking facts about the world we live in today. They highlight the issues that are going on around the world, and sadly most of us in the talk weren’t surprised that the world is in as much trouble as it is. I’ll post a few of the facts now, and let me know in the comments if they shocked you, or if you were already aware!
The facts seem much more real when they’re written down, and working for a charity like CAFOD means you can try to help fix these kinds of issues.
- Over 1 billion people live on less than $1 a day
- 1 child is estimated to die every 3 seconds in developing countries because of poverty
- Out of 860 million illiterate adults in the world, 2/3 are women
- 4 out of 10 people in the world do not have access to basic sanitation (safe drinking water)
- Each person in Britain makes 10 times their own weight in rubbish each year
Seeing these facts really makes you stop and think, how can we have so much when people elsewhere have so little?